God i remember getting this system for the first time. I would spend hours playing mario kart ds and tak and the great juju challenge. now when this system did come out i enjoyed every minute of my time with this system. it revovolutionized the way we play games by adding a touch screen to play games. this new touch screen made the player more in touch with the game your playing. for example: lets talk about super mario 64 ds. the game had improved graphics and with the new touch screen a new way to move and interact. you could use the touch screen to move the character around. now the ds came in 3 colors when it came out blue,red,and white. at the time the gameboy advanced sp was on its last legs and it was up to the nintendo ds to save the portable consoles. and holy shit did it help alot. nowadays are systems have touch screens like the psvita and the 3ds but back then when there was a touch screen everyone thought that this was a well earned improvement. now imma rap of this review with me saying that this game was a good improvement on portable consoles ever and will probably never be forgotten.
Well, its one of my favourite consoles by far. What got me interested in the DS in the first place was the way the user and the console interact. The touch screen is such an exciting and fun way to play games, from throwing food around in cooking mama, to scoping in a COD game, the DS will go down in history as a classic., but there were some annoying aspects of the DS, especially if your a hardcore gamer.
- Touch screen: Fun way to interact with the console
- Price: Based on current prices, the DS was a pretty affordable console, and it still is.
- Colours: The DS had a range of different colours, the original DS, DS Lite and DSi had pretty much every single colour you could think of, my personal favourite? Polar white :)
- Battery Life: The DS Lite was pretty damn good on battery life, i could use it for some time and it wouldn't die on me, Dsi didn't have as much, but it does have some extra features such as the camera which can lower battery life.
- Game Library: Don't get me wrong, the DS had a ton of great games. But walking into a game shop and going to the DS section just makes me feel like a bloody toddler. I would say a good 70% of the games are aimed at kids, and it would have been really good to have some more 18+ games such as GTA CTW.
- Wireles/Online features: Lets be honest, who ever used "Picochat" on the DS? Let me guess.. nobody. The original DS lacked a web browser, and even the DSi browser is pretty pathetic. I'm not saying its useless, but i might aswell just use my old phone if i want to do the same things on the DSi. The Nintendo Wi-Fi feature was pretty crap too, again, makes me feel like a kid, having to collect "friend codes" and all that, it would have been pretty nice to just jump into a lobby and play on all games, but some games did have the feature, but not many, such as the legendary Mario Kart DS.
All in all, the DS was pretty cool, it didn't really offer alot to hardcore gamers, but it still offered a new way to interact and play with our console, and i think alot of consoles in the future will be using similar designs.
Newguy for GU